Ecodesign and Energy Labelling regulations for range hoods have applied since the start of 2015 as part of regulations also covering ovens and hobs. Preparatory studies for all products covered under these regulations show significant energy savings possible from removing inefficient products from the market and encouraging better product design.
The Energy Label for Range Hoods
Energy efficiency information for range hoods is shown on the label as follows:
- Energy rating scale, based on the calculation of an Energy Efficiency Index. Some current models are now rated on a scale from A+ to F
- Annual energy consumption, in kWh per year
- Fluid Dynamic Efficiency Class
- Lighting Efficiency Class
- Grease Filtering Efficiency Class
- Noise value
Energy efficiency of products has increased quickly since regulations came into force. Some of the efficient products on the market that achieve an A+ rating are estimated to use less than 30 kWh of energy per year. For comparison, an E-rated hood may consume over 100 kWh per year.